Sunday, July 9, 2017

Shipping

OK so recap.... Last major post I promised a shipping outline.

So here is where we are shipping wise...

Concerns:

  • We have a baby on the way and stuff for babies in New Zealand is crazy expensive.
  • We have 3 bikes between us
  • We have clothes, kitchen, housewares etc. (standard moving things)


Solutions:

  • Door to door shipping company
  • Ship a large box yourself ( I'm using Kiwi Shipping http://www.kiwishipping.co.nz/ as our example)
  • Everything in checked luggage on a plane with us.
  • Sell everything and start a fresh (LOL no.)

So each solution has its benefits and pitfalls, remember Louis and I think we are capable people with time to spend on these solutions (your experience may differ)

Door to Door:
Similar to paying movers to pack and ship things for you, schedule, go, its at your door in Auckland. They also often have insurance on themselves and your stuff.
Downfalls: PRICE!!!! HOLY PRICE! Couple thousand US to get things to Auckland. 
At this downfalls is where I ran and screamed and said NO I will sell everything and buy fresh in New Zealand. 
So for us Door to Door is out.

Ship a large box yourself:
Good pricing and a few different size/shape etc options. They just charge a square foot charge.
Downfalls: You have to get it to LAX. I live in Northwest Ohio. Some added price of shipping to them in LAX. Also you have to be in New Zealand when your stuff gets there and will be picking it up from the port yourself. Time is not your friend here (they quote 30 days).

Checked Luggage:
You have it with you. You can have travelers insurance to cover it. 
Downfalls: PRICE!!! So depending on how/who you fly you could be spending crazy money in bag fees. $150 for Air New Zealand for an extra bag. Nevermind if its oversized (like a bike box).

Momma Eagle, Reno, and Papa Kiwi having family cuddle time.
Depending on your situation, you may like these options more than the other... I however will be finding a way to ship things to LAX to go via Kiwi Shipping.  

Please remember... We aren't bringing furniture.... Just STUFF.

No comments:

Post a Comment