I got to drive 4 hours south to be poked, trotted, and ruled fit enough.
Lets all remember, I have worked with horses, have friends in the horse world, and guess what? I now know how our horses feel when we do pre-sale vet inspections!
So a limited medical test is really quite simple. The hardest part is finding a doctor New Zealand will allow to do the tests. For me, living within a few hours drive from the Cleveland Clinic, University of Michigan Medical campus, Ohio State Medical, etc... Had to drive to Florence Kentucky y'all. Yes Florence Kentucky. To a little doctors office that mostly does employment testing.
The order of my medical test was:
- Urine sample. I'm pregnant. I can give a sample to anyone at anytime.
- Eye check. OK I wear glasses to see distance when I drive and because I'm too lazy to do too much makeup. So, yes, I can't see well. But I think I passed?
- Height/weight--- Fun fact! Because I'm 25 weeks pregnant my spine (already bad from years of rowing and horseback riding) has compressed and I'm only 5' 7" now.
- Blood test- this is a total blood count and HIV check. Luckily thanks to being pregnant these were not fasting tests. THANK GOD. I don't do well without food.
- This is where the X-Ray would be but no one wants to X-Ray me. Something about harming the baby or some such.
- Doctor Check- now the doctor did the standard blood pressure, listen to lungs, etc. Additionally I had to touch my toes, reflexes checked, and joints checked for major damage (luckily I had not sprained my ankle)
This whole process costs about $250 and they give you a file number to put on your visa paperwork.
Because we were in Kentucky anyways, I suggested (after we ran around getting extra copies of things and FedEx-ing to the visa processing company and a trip to Skyline Chili) a trip to Big Bone Lick State Park.
People from the greater Cincinnati area always giggle as we drive by the signs for Big Bone Lick Park because why not? But I had never been and figured the giggling was worth it.
Big Bone Lick is part of the Kentucky State Parks system and has prehistoric and early American history fun. Lewis and Clark have been there, Giant Sloths have been there, the Shawnee have been there. It has a few good hiking trails and a camp ground. BUT.
THEY HAVE BUFFALO!!!!!!
YES BUFFALO!!!
I've never been close to buffalo before. I've seen pictures, movies, and zoo trips but a herd of 20 or so Buffalo (sorry American Bison Bison Bison) with only a fence between is so COOL!
And for the awwwwww moment... they had several born recently and they are so cute!
Look at the little baby!
For the record 5' 8" me with my stupid long arms took this picture. The little baby who was only 6 weeks old was easily 3+ feet tall (one meter).
Louis said "wow they just look like they can move things"
Also he asked about where the wings were. The park ranger was not amused.
Up next for the Blog is Job Hunting and Visa waiting.

No comments:
Post a Comment